Sunday, February 23, 2014

Hi HORT 4000!

Hi! This is Erin, here to do my introductory blog post.

I'm a senior Nutrition major. I decided to sign up for this class because I'm interested in using gardens to help people gain a greater appreciation for the food they eat. School gardens seem like a great way to get kids learning about food and the environment at a young age, which I think are important but under-emphasized topics in most schools today. 

Having some understanding of those things, and caring about them, will hopefully encourage kids to seek some balance in what they consume. In urban areas in particular, we're pretty removed from the whole process of how food is grown and how it gets to us. Vegetables get a lot more interesting (to kids and adults) when you've dug around in the dirt to find them, or watched a tomato or pepper grow and ripen. Even if they don't apply it right away, I think having the opportunity to learn from and appreciate a garden is the kind of experience that would stick with someone, and would help shape choices they make later on.

I don't have a picture of the microgreens yet, unfortunately. But I'm really into cooking, so I here's a photo of some things I made last week! I love the idea of helping kids learn about nutrition through growing and making their own food, so it's a skill I hope to incorporate with some of the things we learn and do in this class.

In the photo: Coleslaw, cornbread, beans & bacon, garlicky collard greens.


YUM

No comments:

Post a Comment