Saturday, May 18, 2013

End of the year

Now that the semester has finally come to an end I'd like to write a recap of the last month working with Columbia Heights School District.  I was privileged to visit and teach at the school district on two different days.  On April 26th I visited North Park elementary and worked with three different classes. On May 3rd I worked with a total of five classes.  Two high school classes, one middle school class, and two elementary classes.

On the first visit I got my feet wet with teaching younger kids on how to plant seeds.  This was very enjoyable because it was fun to see the kids willing to get their hands a little dirty breaking up the soil.  This is something the older kids on the second visit did not want to do. 

On the second visit I was filmed by the Jeffers Foundation for a second grade class.  The foundation is constructing a year long video on school gardens and how they are incorporated into the classrooms as vehicles to teach the students.  To my understanding they were happy with the footage the had received and planned on continuing to shoot until the winter of 2013. 

Overall I had a very enjoyable time in the Successful School Gardens class at the U of M.  I would highly recommend this class to anyone interested in getting involed in teaching or working with younger kids.  As for now I am signing off.  Have a great summer everybody.

Sincerely,
Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment