Wednesday, April 23, 2014

New Foods in England

Long ago, I know, but I wanted to share what May and I did for our grocery shopping assignment in London, when we were asked to pick up some unfamiliar or England-specific foods and try preparing them.


Here's what we chose--microgreens (of course!) and a Bramley apple.


We decided to get as creative with the apple as our limited cooking supplies allowed. Since Bramleys are pretty terrible when they're raw, we knew cooking it somehow was the way to go... so we made applesauce!

This involved chopping the apple up, putting it in a pan on the stove and adding some water and sugar--which was greatly needed; even after the apple was cooked it was still sour. Luckily there were complementary sugar packets in the lobby!

After 15 minutes or so, the apples will cook down to mush, basically, and you have applesauce!

After
Before



We were pretty excited.


The microgreens got a simple treatment, but that's probably for the best. Since we were packing lunches every day, I just cut them off and put them on my sandwiches. They were really nice. I liked that they came still in the growing medium--they stayed fresh the whole week that way.


And... McVities chocolate digestives, the most wonderful cookie in the world. This doesn't really count because I just ate them straight out of the package, but I felt I needed to include them because I loved them so much. The ones I brought home with me are long gone. Luckily, though, one of my coworkers found them (!!!) at an import store somewhere in the Twin Cities, so I might be able to keep feeding my addiction.




No comments:

Post a Comment