Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Kew Gardens

I loved spending time at Kew Gardens.  Getting to take a behind the scenes tour of their research labs was a pretty special honor.  For a horticulture student, standing in a room filled with THOUSANDS of dried plant specimens is kind of like letting a kid loose in a candy factory.  Upon returning home, I found out from my grandma that my grandfather does have plant specimens housed at Kew!
One of Four Wings of the Herbarium

After touring the labs, we were cut loose to explore the gardens.  Since a lot of the outdoor gardens weren't in full bloom yet (except the daffodils of course), I especially loved the glass house gardens.  They had more air plants on one pole than I have seen in my life.  The orchid collection was fabulous.  They had hundreds of cacti specimen, all displayed in terrariums throughout the conservatory. Overall, it was a lovely place, perfect for a chilly spring London day.



1 comment:

  1. that stair picture is so cute and corny it could be in a sitcom's opening credits

    ReplyDelete